For your convenience there are two links to help guide you through the process of arranging for the baptism of an infant at a Georgetown University chapel.
POLICY FOR ROMAN CATHOLIC BAPTISMS
The following applies to persons requesting to do baptisms on campus:
1. The persons making the request ought to have some connection with Georgetown University (i.e., student, faculty, staff person, alumni, or in a pastoral relationship with a member of the Jesuit Community at GU).
2. The persons contact the Chaplain for Sacramental Preparation to reserve a date and a chapel, to acquire a Chapel Reservation Form and a Baptismal Information Form, and to determine how to fulfill the requirement for a pastoral visit (e.g., with presider, with Chaplain for Sacramental Preparation, or with home parish pastoral staff).
3. The persons making the request need to arrange for a priest or a deacon to preside. The presiding priest or deacon needs to be in good standing with the Catholic Church.
4. Having secured a presiding priest or deacon, the persons making the request return the completed Chapel Reservation Form and the Baptismal Information Form to the Chaplain for Sacramental Preparation. These forms facilitate the processing of the paperwork, the preparation of a baptismal certificate, and the setup of the chapel by the sacristan.
5. At the discretion of the parent(s), a donation may be offered. There is no fee for baptisms. Charitable contributions may be made payable to “Campus Ministry GU.”
6. To request a date and time for a baptism or to ask any other questions, please contact the Administrative Assistant by sending an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 202-687-6880.
Things to Know
Infant Baptisms Reservation Tips
When choosing a date, here are some points to know about Infant Baptisms at Georgetown University:
- Baptisms occur mostly on Sundays at 10:00am or 2:30pm. Weddings generally take up most of our Saturdays. However, if there is a slot, Saturdays do become available.
- We do not have Baptisms during the week.
- The Chapels are also closed for baptisms on Easter Weekend, Commencement Weekend, Reunion Weekend, New Student Orientation (Last weekend in August), Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's.
- Arrangements for baptisms should be made at least 2 months in advance.
- We average 3 baptisms a weekend.
- The longer you wait to reserve, the less likely your date will be available.