Campus Ministry at Georgetown University's Medical Center
Georgetown is a Catholic and Jesuit school. Its educational goals are inspired by the Christian challenge to build a community of colleagues that share a thirst for God’s gift of enlightenment. Campus Ministry assists in seeking that goal by reminding all members of the university that it is possible to create such a community – that such a community is not a daydream.
Georgetown’s Medical Center works to create such a community by instilling a spirit of collaboration in its graduate students studying clinical medicine, medical research, and nursing and health sciences. Guided by the Gospel message of service, reconciliation, and healing, Campus Ministry helps the Medical center pursue the goal of collaboration by teaching the skills necessary for mindfulness, communication, and cooperation.
The primary method that Campus Ministry uses to develop habits of mindfulness, communication, and cooperation, is to teach their pursuit through peer ministry. We do that by assisting small groups of students to reflect together on matters that are important to them. We assist them, for instance, in forming groups of about ten students who will agree to met once a week to hear one another answer the question, "How are you coping with the demands of your work?" Other groups will be helped to focus on more specifically spiritual matters such as the Bible (or other sacred writings) or questions of religious faith.
The ministry that members of small groups provide one another is assistance in reflection - helping each other develop habits of attentiveness and mindfulness.
Medical Center Program and Contact Information
Medical Center Worship Services:
- Catholic services: Mass is celebrated every weekday at 12:05pm in St. Ignatius Chapel, located in the Medical-Dental Building, SW-105.
- Protestant Worship Service: held every Thursday at 12:35pm in St. Ignatius Chapel, located in the Medical-Dental Building, SW-105.
- Jewish and Muslim services: offered on GU's Main Campus, next to the Medical Center.
For a complete list of Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Muslim, and Orthodox Christian services on the Main Campus, please visit Campus Ministry's Worship Services page.
Medical Center Campus Ministry Programs:
- Retreats - The Medical Center no longer hosts its' own retreat. Students are welcome to participate in retreats provided through the Main Campus. Please see the following website for specific information.
- Sacramental Preparation - Marriage Preparation; and RCIA
- Pastoral Counseling
- Spiritual Direction
- Peer Ministry: Small-Group formation and direction; and Support for group projects in outreach and service.
Fr. Sal Jordan, S.J.
Director of Medical Center Campus Ministry
SW-103, Medical-Dental Building
Sr. Helen Scarry, R.J.M., D.Min.
210 St. Mary's Hall
Rev. Ridgeway Addison
SW-101, Medical-Dental Building
110 Healy Hall
Mr. Michael Goldman, Esq.
113 McDonough Hall
Imam Yahya Hendi
112 Healy Hall
“The Georgetown Group”