Calcagnini Contemplative Center
The Calcagnini Contemplative Center (CCC), Georgetown University’s retreat center, is situated in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. The CCC provides a welcoming space for contemplative day and overnight retreats. Located on 55-acres of picturesque grounds in Bluemont, VA and overlooking the Shenandoah Valley, the award-winning contemplative center is less than 75 minutes from Georgetown University.
The CCC was made possible through the generosity of Arthur Calcagnini (C’54) and his wife, Nancy, longtime supporters of Georgetown University’s ESCAPE First-Year Experience.
- Main Dining Hall
- Small Side Dining Room seats 12
- Community Room with fireplace
- 2 small Spiritual Direction Rooms with 2 chairs
- St. Ignatius Chapel seats 33
- 28 Bedrooms each with a private bathroom
- accommodates up to 3 per room
- 2 ADA bedrooms each with a private bathroom
- accommodates up to 3 per room
- Recreational areas and private hiking trail
Georgetown University and Clarke County have agreed to the following policies for use of the Calcagnini Contemplative Center. The CCC is the primary venue for Mission and Ministry’s contemplative overnight and day retreats. Other Georgetown departments and groups are welcome to host contemplative programs in consultation or collaboration with Mission and Ministry.
A contemplative overnight retreat meet the following definition:
- Contemplative retreats are programs coordinated by professional staff and trained student leaders which are reflective in nature, and are aimed at the intellectual, social, and spiritual formation of students. The programs are structured to deepen appreciation of the Jesuit values of educating the whole person and contemplation in action.
An contemplative day retreat must meet the following requirements:
- Contemplative day retreats may also include meetings and trainings for Georgetown University administrative staff and faculty, Board of Directors, students, staff and alumni, and may not include overnight use of the facilities. There is a maximum of 40 guests per day retreat.
Georgetown is limited in the number of contemplative overnight and day retreats it may host at the CCC.
External groups are not permitted to use the contemplative center. No weddings, receptions, or other public or private functions are allowed.
When considering the Contemplative Center for your contemplative retreat please keep in mind the following:
- Each requesting party is required to designate a retreat coordinator who oversees the retreat. The event coordinator must be a Georgetown employee and be on-site throughout the duration of the retreat.
- Meals are provided by a contracted caterer.
- Minimum 20 guests | Maximum 78 guests
- Parking is restricted. Carpools and buses are strongly encouraged.
- Additional policies and instructions will be provided upon reservation.
Contemplative Center Availability Calendar
Check the availability of the contemplative center by using this calendar. The calendar will be periodically updated. Even if a requested date appears available we may not be able to accommodate your event, due to use restrictions.
If your event meets the above criteria, please contact email@example.com