Calcagnini Contemplative Center
The Calcagnini Contemplative Center (CCC), Georgetown University’s retreat center, is situated in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. The CCC provides a welcoming space for overnight and weekend retreats, and is also ideal for one-day retreats and administrative meetings. Located on 55-acres of picturesque grounds in Bluemont, VA and overlooking the Shenandoah Valley, the contemplative center is less than 75 minutes from Georgetown University. The contemplative center was made possible through the generosity of Arthur Calcagnini (C’54) and his wife, Nancy, longtime supporters of Georgetown University’s ESCAPE First-Year Experience.
- Main Dining Hall
- Small Side Dining Room seats 12
- Community Room with fireplace
- 2 small Spiritual Direction Rooms with 2 chairs
- St. Ignatius Chapel seats 33
- 28 Bedrooms each with a private bathroom
- accommodates up to 3 per room
- 2 ADA bedrooms each with a private bathroom
- accommodates up to 3 per room
- Rereational areas and private hiking trail
Georgetown University and Clarke County have agreed to the following policies for use of the Calcagnini Contemplative Center. The CCC is the primary venue for the Office of Campus Ministry’s contemplative programs and retreats. Other Georgetown departments and groups are welcome to host contemplative programs and administrative days.
A contemplative program must meet the following definition:
- Contemplative programs are programs coordinated by professional staff and trained student leaders which are reflective in nature, and are aimed at the intellectual, social, and spiritual formation of students. The programs are structured to deepen our appreciation of the Jesuit values of educating the whole person and contemplation in action.
An administrative day must meet the following requirements:
- Administrative days may include meetings and trainings for Georgetown University administrative staff and faculty, Board of Directors, students, staff and alumni, and may not include overnight use of the facilities. There is a maximum of 40 guests per administrative day.
Georgetown is limited in the number of overnight contemplative programs and administrative days it may host at the CCC.
Non-Georgetown groups are not permitted to use the contemplative center. No weddings, receptions or other public or private functions are allowed.
When considering the Contemplative Center for your event please keep in mind the following:
- Each requesting party is required to designate an event coordinator who oversees the event. The event coordinator must be a Georgetown employee and be on-site throughout the duration of the event.
- Meals are provided by a contracted caterer.
- Minimum 20 guests | Maximum 78 guests
- Parking is restricted. Carpools and buses are strongly encouraged.
- Additional policies, information and charges will be provided after the request form has been submitted.
Contemplative Center Availability Calendar
Check the availability of the contemplative center by using this calendar. The calendar will be periodically updated. Even if a requested date appears available we may not be able to accommodate your event, due to use restrictions.
If your event meets the above criteria please submit the request form below.
2020-2021 Request Form *- Use for current year requests. (Reservation requests for the following year will be accepted beginning on March 1, 2021.)
*When prompted, please sign-in using your Georgetown NetID and password.
Please allow 2 weeks for processing once the request form has been submitted.
Reservations will be accepted on a rolling basis.