2019-2020 ESCAPE Retreats
This overnight experience for first-year and transfer students is designed as an escape from the Hilltop. For 27 hours, enjoy the chance to meet awesome new people, eat lots of good snacks, enjoy great live music, and take a step back from the frenzy of campus life.
The fee is only $40, which covers the cost of the overnight stay, meals, a trendy ESCAPE t-shirt. You register and pay online. Registration fees are non-refundable. If the fee poses a challenge, financial assistance is available. Please email the ESCAPE program office at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
ESCAPE takes place at the Calcagnini Contemplative Center in Bluemont, Virginia. The facility offers indoor, hotel-style accommodations and breathtaking views of the Shenandoah Valley. 'Like' us on Facebook to see pictures of the Calcagnini Contemplative Center!
ESCAPE is an overnight experience accessible to people of all religious and non-religious backgrounds. Reflection is a central part of the overnight. There will be talks from upperclass team leaders and a faculty or staff member, followed by individual and small group reflection.
ESCAPE doesn’t end when you leave the Calcagnini Center! As a part of the ESCAPE community, you'll see your friends at community events back on campus.
For more information visit our office in Leavey Center 1509 next to Selinger Lounge or email email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If I’m not very religious or not religious at all, will I still enjoy the retreat?
ESCAPE IS FOR EVERYONE. Regardless of how religious you are you will get a lot out of the overnight. While ESCAPE draws on Jesuit tradition, the retreat is accessible to people of all religious and non-religious backgrounds.
Does ESCAPE take up the entire weekend?
ESCAPE IS ONLY 27 HOURS. You can choose between the Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday overnights. You will leave at 4:00 pm and return the next day around 7:00 pm.
I’m really busy right now. Should I wait until next year to attend?
ESCAPE IS A FIRST YEAR RETREAT. This means only freshmen and transfer students in their first year can attend. Go at a time that is convenient for your schedule. But, keep in mind the last overnights are in February.
Is ESCAPE a camping trip?
ESCAPE IS NOT A CAMPING TRIP. We will spend most of the weekend indoors in climate-controlled buildings. Still, you will have time to spend outside during free time, when you can explore the grounds of the Calcagnini Contemplative Center if you like.
What to bring to ESCAPE?
- For comfort: A sleeping bag and pillow -OR- sheets, blanket, and pillow; you can rent sleeping bags for $9.00 through Outdoor Ed.
- For cleanliness: A towel, soap, shampoo, a change of clothes, and whatever else you need to get ready.
- For unpredictable weather: Durable shoes, socks, and a sweatshirt or jacket.
- For fun: A good book, cards, games, or your journal for free time (unless you want to romp outside, hang out by the fire, or take a nap).
- For reflection: A journal if you like to use one.
- For hydration: A reusable water bottle or mug for coffee/tea.
- For everyone's listening pleasure: guitars or other musical instruments if you play any!